Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)

Your adjusted gross income (AGI) is your or your family's wages, salaries, interest, dividends, etc., minus certain deductions from income as reported on a federal income tax return.

If you filed a federal tax return last year and have a copy of last year's return, you can find your prior year AGI in the following places:

  • If you filed Form 1040, your AGI will be listed on line 37.
  • If you filed Form 1040A, your AGI will be listed on line 21.
  • If you filed Form 1040-EZ, your AGI will be listed on line 4.

For most Married Filing Joint filers, who filed jointly last year, your Prior Year AGI will be the same for both taxpayers, even if one taxpayer did not work.

If you don't have a copy of last year's tax return, you can obtain an Electronic Filing PIN from the IRS on their website ( or by calling 866-704-7388. Note: If you are filing a joint return, you will need to obtain a separate PIN for both the taxpayer and the spouse.

If you did not file a federal tax return last year, or if you filed after October 15, you may estimate your annual income, but please be aware that the Department of Education (Ed) relies on IRS tax data to develop payment estimates. You will have to provide documentation of your income to Ed, if not to the IRS.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us