Total and Permanent Disability Status

To be considered totally and permanently disabled for the purpose of discharging your student loans, you be able to prove your disability through one of the following three ways:

  • If you are a veteran, you can submit documentation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability.
  • If you are receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you can submit a Social Security Administration (SSA) notice of award for SSDI or SSI benefits stating that your next scheduled disability review will be within five to seven years from the date of your most recent SSA disability determination.
  • You can submit certification from a physician that you are totally and permanently disabled. Your physician must certify that you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment that:
    • Can be expected to result in death,
    • Has lasted for a continuous period of at least 60 months, or
    • Can be expected to last for a continuous period of at least 60 months.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us